- RT @EdmontonEsks: BREAKING: We have acquired international running back Martese Jackson and a conditional sixth-round draft pick in the 202… ->
- @nspector4 Maybe if you changed the ammending formula then you can get rid of the Not Withstanding clause… by the… https://t.co/mKDoeKNqO3 in reply to nspector4 ->
- 👓who's 🔙!!! 🚀 https://t.co/fnNZgxIacm ->
- @EskEmpirePod Depends on how you count the bonus ep after the BC game… but either way RIGHT – lets light this rocket! in reply to EskEmpirePod ->
- RT @nspector4: Good advice today too. https://t.co/l5UEbiTqjn ->
- Mercedes-Benz Vans unveils ugliest electric vehicle concept to date – why? https://t.co/J5PfeAXVGl Possibly useful… https://t.co/taVqWsIzA4 ->
- About 🚒er time! I miss my Empire pod! Without the @EskEmpirePod we're 2-3! https://t.co/A9YSqawTka ->
- Hey @BCFerrys you really need another service to cover the Malahat.. something like Rue de Mal https://t.co/ichw11I45i ->
- RT @DriveBC: UPDATE – #BCHwy1 #Malahat remains CLOSED in both directions at Tunnel Hill due to rocks on road. Geotechnical engineers are as… ->
- RT @cfax1070: Flights: @HarbourAirLtd is reporting some possible delays out of Victoria due to the fog patches. @Fly_YYJ is reporting no de… ->
- RT @ismh: September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Each year, I spend the month talking about @StJude, the hospital that sav… ->
- RT @moiseschiu: St. Jude is one of the brightest lights in an increasingly darkening world. Give a few minutes to read what Stephen is post… ->
- RT @BCFerrys: Our new wifi antenna array has been installed. We hope you are enjoying improved service. https://t.co/xjlt1ckVXg ->
- RT @EdmontonEsks: Check out all the best shots from last night's win over the Stampeders.
- My name is Bill, and I’m a podcast addict: Podcast App Roundup – Fall 2018 https://t.co/11fLZSaSa8 ->
- The classics still work via @joyoftech https://t.co/KnSqJcmY0y https://t.co/YNnQoyTbf1 https://t.co/gN7ZM3elzD ->
- RT @flightradar24: We've gotten a few question about the nature of the #AN225’s flight path. When a straight line on a sphere is projected… ->
- 4 of 5 stars to Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter https://t.co/jckHQs8xXF ->
Seriously, I listen to tech podcasts, flying podcasts, advertising podcasts, even podcasts about making podcasts.
So I think of myself as a bit of a podcast power user. I listen on at least 2 mobile devices and 1 desktop. A recent addition of an android work phone got me looking at my podcast client options. Pocketcasts is the leading android choice as well as having IOS and desktop options (web/electron clients). My traditional IOS choices have flipped between Downcast and Overcast. So I spent a week with each of them, the Short story .. almost nothing changed.
To avoid repetition, all of these clients can add podcasts from a directory or directly by URL. You can control how many and when podcasts download. The ability to stream podcasts if you want to conserve space on your device. You can control playback speed including their own ‘smart’ speed options. All have at least some support for private feeds from paid, subscription or Patreon feeds – YMMV. They all also support Carplay from IOS.
The new choice – PocketCasts
If there is a second choice in an Android podcast client, I probably never heard of it (GooglePod?) but the first choice is clearly Pocketcasts. Pocketcasts does give you almost all the tools you need and equality between the IOS and Android clients. In a metaphor that is completely lost on me, in place of playlists they have filters. This allows you to organize your podcasts but if you want to play you work list or nighttime list you have to build a queue each time. So if I start listening to one filter and tap to play something from another it will play that one episode and go back to whatever was previously in the up next queue. The filter options, Carplay support in IOS, and syncing services were all great. In what was a great choice, the lack of real playlists became a total deal breaker.
Back to the Future – Downcast
Downcast is the power user option on IOS and has the added value of a Mac desktop client. The playlists options including recent (last day/week) and partially played is excellent the best of the three. The multiple levels of playback priorities make building my daily ‘briefing’ of news podcasts a joy. Downcasts supports both audio and video podcasts plus Carplay and watch support. Like many one-man development efforts, Downcast has two drawbacks. First, development is slow with long stretches of little changes. This always gives me concern about applications being orphaned. I have thrown some dollars in the ‘tip jar’ but after the first purchase, George really doesn’t have a revenue stream to support development. Which brings us to the second problem, syncing. Downcast uses the iCloud syncing for everything from settings to the play position. Not the developer’s fault but iCloud syncing doesn’t work well for frequently changing content from multiple devices. If you start and podcast on your iPad, go to your phone and back to the iPad over the course of a day iCloud works on the most recently opened app, not the furthest played position. So I ended up listening to the same stuff over again. I hope at some point George can get a subscription supported syncing service. This would solve both the problems but I understand it is a tough ask in the hopes of future revenue. My money is there if he ever does.
Ho hum… back to Overcast
I really wish I could live with the syncing in Downcast because going back to Overcast is really a step down in control over Playlists. Specifically a partially played and a today or this week playlist. The Overcast smart playlists organize by podcasts and almost nothing else. There is clearly a desire to keep a minimal style and well-balanced UI that makes adding more complicated playlist options unlikely. There is a bare-bones web player for desktop playback. It does beat the non-playlists of PocketCasts and the syncing is lighting quick and gets it right everytime. Supported but well-promoted coverage and a regular subscription revenue you really can’t bet against it continuing to be supported. Overcast has also introduced many of newer features like volume boost and Smart Speed.
- RT @EskEmpirePod: My only frustration is the Jeckyll and Hyde personality of this team. It always seems like a good 30 mins or, like tonigh… ->
- @Freepilicious @56Parkies @DuchessLombardi Hey can you guys tweet something to let me know you are still breathing… https://t.co/bfNpvYypJn ->
- RT @ReidWilkins: Duke Williams finishes with seven catches for 172 yards and a TD. Gutted it out and made some big catches in the second ha… ->
- Don’t understand why Brooks wasn’t tossed for contacting an offical #banjobowl ->
- Why I use @foreflight and not @Carrot_app for pre flight planning https://t.co/DF35IvvU17 https://t.co/aFtgv5v33Q ->
- RT @Dave_CHED: @wakemp @CFLonTSN Rainey is scratch and he's standing on the sidelines. ->
- @CFLonTSN Was Rainey a scratch or is he sitting? ->
- RT @kathcupe: Very displeased that Chris Rainey is not playing tonight. Not cool Wally! ->
- @Dave_CHED And a helmet to helmet hit on Burnham right after that. Supplemental on either of those? in reply to Dave_CHED ->
- RT @Dave_CHED: Sure Lulay was hit in the back which jerked his head up but the OTT. defender led with his head. Clear penalty. #missed #C… ->
- First wet ride home in months. Can’t complain, there are still some fires to put out. ->
- Google sets October 9th for the Pixel 3 unveiling https://t.co/eVesf89BCz ->
- @TrixieLeRue @edmontonpolice 🙏 https://t.co/14FgHvvOcV in reply to TrixieLeRue ->
- New Microsoft hardware launching on October 2 https://t.co/TQxbtmQTsH https://t.co/kg5QCFqhEp ->
- RT @ryanmunday: @wakemp https://t.co/v3tBJl9bMN ->
- @ryanmunday Thanks!.. seems to have updated this afternoon. @_Bmitch16 doesn't have a ➕beside him anymore either @56Parkies in reply to ryanmunday ->
- Straight up.. someone hands you one of these.. what’s the first word that comes to mind #facepalm
via AppleInsider… https://t.co/5roHC1dWmi ->
- RT @OakBayPolice: I'm in a police station, at my desk, answer my phone….and find out I'm wanted (for tax evasion)!?! Arresting myself wou… ->
- RT @Morley_Scott: #BOA Battle of attrition https://t.co/vXsWApRwCh ->
- Meanwhile, @manton has to come up with something else so I can give money to @micodotblog once I don’t need cross-p… https://t.co/HdOzGlG1wt ->
- After the Facebook purge of posting tools (cross-posting, Buffer, WordPress) I created a Facebook page. After about… https://t.co/mFE2lvijqo ->
- RT @LeviGibian: Anomynous. https://t.co/sJ36OGPgOy ->
- RT @EskEmpirePod: Squeezing in our picks for #CFLPickEm this week! @DuchessLombardi BC/TOR/WPG/EDM @56Parkies BC/HAM/SSK/EDM and @Freepilic… ->
- RT @DanRather: There’s a lot to say about the quality and content of Barack Obama’s speech but it can also be summarized as simply, “see wh… ->
- Bargain-conscious #CFLFantasy players deserve better… https://t.co/iKzF9pMBwW ->